Residential accommodation for students:
NID Training provides hostel accommodation for students, located close to the main building on the campus at Worcester in the Western Cape Province South Africa.
Each residence has a dining room were students are provided with three meals per day. The residences also have laundry areas where students can do their laundry.
The student’s rooms have a private sleeping area, study table and cupboard.
Students are free to arrange for their own private accommodation in Worcester. Private students, however, need to make their own arrangements for meals and transport.
First year students undergo a week of orientation to help them adapt to their new surroundings, prepare them for their training programmes and expose them to the responsibilities of employed adulthood.
- SASSA registration
- Budget planning
- Opening of bank accounts
- Fire safety
- Social Activities
- Occupational Health and Safety (evacuation)
- SAPS general safety
- Traffic rules and safety
- Religion diversity
- First Aid Training
STUDENT SUPPORT SERVICES
NID offers various support services to students, including work-placement assistance, social work services and medical support services.
The Student Support Services has the following functions:
- Act as a point of call for students’ general enquiries and if necessary direct them to the person/service centre which can best assist them.
- In conjunction with facilitators and hostel parents identify students at risk due to their social, emotional, and behavioural difficulties.
- Establish and develop a relationship of trust with students who are in need
- Refer the student for counselling / pastoral support programmes and/or individual therapy plans and preventative strategies for students with emotional and behavioural difficulties.
- Act as a point of contact with the parents/guardians of identified students and maintain regular contact with them to encourage parental involvement in student’s holistic development
SOCIAL WORK SERVICES
A Social Worker and Auxiliary Social Worker works on a one-to-one basis with students who anticipate any issues which may affect their training progress. This service is offered by NID’s Integrated Support Services (ISS).
WORK PLACEMENT OFFICER
Liaises with workplaces to give students the most appropriate form of support.
Assists students with job placement affairs according to the Rules and Regulations of NID Training
The college will assist students with private travel arrangements upon request. Students are responsible for their own transport costs as this is a paid service for the student’s own account. However, students are encouraged to make their own private travel arrangements, according to a set calendar.
SIGN LANGUAGE INTERPRETERS
Students who need to visit other institutions (e.g. Banks, the SAPS, and Hospital etc.) will be accompanied by a college staff member. Prior arrangements with NID Training staff are necessary. Classes are offered by facilitators who use Sign Language.
The student Support Officer will accompany students to the doctor or hospital depending on the severity of their illness. Please note that students who do not have the benefit of a medical scheme or medical insurance will be taken to the nearest state hospital/clinic.
The college personnel will assist students with their registration at NID Training and relevant SETA or accreditation authority. On the day of registration the prescribed registration fee must be paid. This is a non-refundable fee.
SHORT COURSES & INFORMATION SESSIONS
Information sessions include:
- Alcohol and Drug Awareness
- TB Information
- Relationship Problems
- Self Development
- Deaf Driver Training
- First Aid Training
STUDENTS' SOCIAL ACTIVITIES
NID Training offers an array of social activities throughout the academic year.
- Valentine’s Day and other social dances
- Camps and Teambuilding Activities
- Movie and games nights
- College festivals
- Social pool and table tennis
- Mr and Miss NID College
NID Training offers the following sport and/or recreational activities:
- Soccer (male and female)
- Informal sport (recreational activities)
The Student Representative Council shall be established for the following reasons:
- To function as a channel of communication between the Student Body and the NID Training Management.
- To provide a channel of communication between the students of NID Training and students of other institutions.
- To crystallize the needs and aspirations of students and to make known their problems and point-of view.
- To seek clarification on general academic issues and student community issues, conducting the dialogue and consultation within the parameters of regulations pertaining to NID Training.
- To promote a spirit of harmony and unity among students and staff of NID Training.
- To establish a solid identity amongst the students and to help ensure that they are treated with the respect and dignity they deserve.