In 1947 Rev. Gawie de la Bat set a process in motion which would eventually lead to the establishment of our Therapeutic community for the Multi-Disabled in 1994, when a farm was bought outside Worcester to provide training and work placement opportunities for low functioning and multiple-disabled Deaf school leavers.
Although research and practice later showed that the farm could not address all the needs of these people as was originally intended, it opened the way to achieving a long cherished ideal when the farm was sold in later years and funds became available to establish a specialized programme for the multiple-disabled Deaf.
In 1978, an aftercare centre was established to provide a protective residential and work environment for multiple-disabled Deaf adults without decent abode in the community.
In 1987 we realized that a model had to be developed to meet the specific needs of the target group. The idea of a Deaf-friendly totally accessible mini-village for multiple-disabled Deaf persons was born!